external script collecting invironment variables

vicky vicky at trustive.com
Mon Aug 22 10:45:42 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I'm run a "home made" script whenever I receive an accounting- start,
stop or alive. In the script I get the value of all the attributes set
in the environment variables (example : val = getenv("USER_NAME") ). I
want to count how many attributes contain no value (or doesn't not
exist) so I have a check (example : if(val == NULL) ) and I have a
counter variable. I check with NULL because I thought when an attribute
has no value, the value would be NULL butt apparently it is not always
the case.

I guess it is different when the attribute is sent without a value and
when it is not sent at all. I would like to know what value contains in
these two cases. Anyone?

Thanks!

-- Vicky