IPv6 Support

Paulo Alexandre Caceres Ferreira caceres at alumni.ipt.pt
Tue Dec 6 23:12:15 CET 2005

> > I don.t try Freeradius with IPv6 yet, but I have doubts with IPv6
> > Freeradius functioning.
>
>   Why?

Because I didn't arrange a machine for test it yet :)

> > Did the communications between NAS and Freeradius, in IPv6 only
> networks,
> > are made only with IPv6 packets (Access request packets, etc.)?
>
>   Uh... you're asking if non-IPv6 packets are sent in an IPv6-only
> network.
>
>   That makes *no* sense.

No, I wanted an IPv6 only, but I wasn't sure if Freeradius was
communicating with NAS in IPv6 only packets, or if it was encapsulating
IPv6 attributes (RFC 3162) over IPv4 packets.

> > Or did the IPv6 attributes (NAS-IPv6-Address, etc.) are encapsulated
in
> > IPv4 packets?
>
>   Read the RFC's.  The data in a RADIUS packet is completely
> independent of the IPv4 or IPv6 transport.

I already red the RFC 3162, and I think that was the idea, but I asked to
the list this questions to had sure.

Good, that means that it works with packets in both network protocols,
depending of NAS support.

>   Alan DeKok.

Thanks for the help, and I will try that when I will have opportunity.

Regards,
Paulo Ferreira