Chap password failing with Cisco

Stefan.Neis at t-online.de Stefan.Neis at t-online.de
Fri Jul 1 16:55:05 CEST 2005

Brent Smith schrieb:

> I am trying to get freeradius to authenticate chap for a
> ISDN backup call on a cisco. I am running version 1.0.1.
> I am in control of server and clients, so I know the
> passwords match, but the logs say they do not.

IIRC earlier 1.0.x releases have problems with MD5 (and
this CHAP) an some hardware (e.g. 64-bit (like AMD-64)
or big-endian (like SPARC) processors), so if you're running
one of those, an update might be helpful. Search the mailing
list archives for details...

Also, if all is fine in that respect, your paket seems to contain
CHAP-Password only, no "CHAP-Challenge". IIRC, there's
a rule on how to automatically derive a CHAP-Challenge
from the rest of the RADIUS paket, but I have no idea how
well this is supported by server and various clients, so
maybe there some problem hidden there?

        Regards,
                     Stefan