Windows -> VPN -> Radius

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Tue Jul 5 18:53:37 CEST 2005

Roberto Greiner <mrgreiner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I think I finally found what's happening. Windows IS sending the
> proper password. The problem is with radiusclient, the program that my
> VPN server (poptop) uses to interface with radius. It does not have a
> dictionary.microsoft file by default, and due to this it's discarding
> some of the pairs Windows is sending. Do I need to say that the pairs
> discarded are the ones with the password???

  <sigh> RADIUS implementations should be able to handle unknown
attributes, and pass them back & forth.

> I'm trying to solve this problem, but the dictionary.microsoft files
> I've tried didn't work. The one that comes with freeradius isn't
> understood by radiusclient, and the one I found in the radiusclient
> site didn't work properly (did overwrite non-Vendor pairs)

  The ones distributed with FreeRADIUS should work, with a bit of
editing.  But you may have to edit the source code to radiusclient.

  Hmm... the last release of radiusclient was 3 years ago.  That's bad.