Difference between dictionary and RFC 2865 for Attribute Class

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Tue Jul 19 18:39:00 CEST 2005

Andreas Engler <freeradius at arcor.de> wrote:
> i wonder why the entry for Attribute Class in the dictionary file is octets.

  Because it's not a text string.

  The RFC's used "string" for all variable length data, so that's what
most servers used in the dictionaries.  FreeRADIUS added "octets" for
non-printable strings, and then the RFC's were updated to say "text"
for text, and "string" for undistinguished octets.

> The definition in RFC says that the Value of Class should be string.

  Keep reading the RFC:

   string    1-253 octets containing binary data (values 0 through 255
             decimal, inclusive).

  The Class attribute is NOT an ASCII string.

> Because Alan always warn to not edit the dictionary file, i would like
> to know which kind of trouble i would face in changing octets to string
> in dictionary file.

  Nothing.

> Will the value be changed in future or do i have to do it on my own and
> on my own risk?

  The dictionary will NOT be updated to say that an attribute
containing binary data is an ASCII string.