rlm_ldap: Attribute "User-Password" isrequired forauthentication

melvin melvin.wong at muvee.com
Wed Jul 27 12:35:16 CEST 2005

Hi Vladimir,

I've followed your write-up on FreeRADIUS and LDAP and configured my Windows
clients to use TTLS+PAP but I still get the same error as below:

rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 192.168.84.11:2048, id=0,
length=125
        User-Name = "melvin"
        NAS-IP-Address = 192.168.84.11
        Called-Station-Id = "000f66005feb"
        Calling-Station-Id = "0012f075e7b3"
        NAS-Identifier = "000f66005feb"
        NAS-Port = 33
        Framed-MTU = 1400
        NAS-Port-Type = Wireless-802.11
        EAP-Message = 0x0201000b016d656c76696e
        Message-Authenticator = 0x1cbf370b745f6863e6478bfed57edd74
  Processing the authorize section of radiusd.conf
  modcall[authorize]: module "preprocess" returns ok for request 0
  modcall[authorize]: module "chap" returns noop for request 0
  modcall[authorize]: module "mschap" returns noop for request 0
    rlm_realm: No '@' in User-Name = "melvin", looking up realm NULL
    rlm_realm: No such realm "NULL"
  modcall[authorize]: module "suffix" returns noop for request 0
  rlm_eap: EAP packet type response id 1 length 11
  rlm_eap: No EAP Start, assuming it's an on-going EAP conversation
  modcall[authorize]: module "eap" returns updated for request 0
    users: Matched entry DEFAULT at line 152
  modcall[authorize]: module "files" returns ok for request 0
modcall: group authorize returns updated for request 0
  rad_check_password:  Found Auth-Type LDAP
auth: type "LDAP"
  Processing the authenticate section of radiusd.conf
modcall: entering group Auth-Type for request 0
rlm_ldap: - authenticate
rlm_ldap: Attribute "User-Password" is required for authentication.
  modcall[authenticate]: module "ldap" returns invalid for request 0
modcall: group Auth-Type returns invalid for request 0
auth: Failed to validate the user.

Any ideas where I might go wrong?

cheers,
melvin