mod_radius, apache2 and the auth cookie.

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Thu Jul 28 19:00:33 CEST 2005

"Palmer J.D.F." <J.D.F.Palmer at swansea.ac.uk> wrote:
> >   You mean re-authenticate for every request?  That would require
> > source code changes.
>
> Effectively yes, see the description of what I'm trying to do below.

  Was was pointed out, you'll get authentication dialogs for every gif
& jpg on the page.  This is a BAD idea.

> If I get a failed login, then try to login again it just uses cached
> credentials and doesn't prompt for details, if I close and re-open the
> browser it does then allow me to enter details.

  Then your browser is broken.

> So far this has only been tested with IE on a patched up but otherwise std
> XP machine.

  Read the rants in the source code for why IE isn't a web browser.

> The reason for the authentication is to log into a web-redirect gateway.
> An iptables rule redirects any un-authenticated IP/MAC pairs to the login
> page; on a successful login the page (a php page which resides in a
> protected folder) adds some iptables rules to allow that particular client
> (IP/MAC pair) through the gateway.

  There are "captive portal" programs that do this.  Search the net
for them, they'll probably be simpler to set up, and will work with IE.