freeradius WPA Problèm

Zoltan A. Ori z.ori at morehead-st.edu
Wed Nov 23 18:02:12 CET 2005

On Wednesday 23 November 2005 07:58, Patrice PAPOT wrote:

> I have configured freeradius with WPA support using suse
>  Using Windowssmobile 2003 machine i could successfully authenticate.
>
> The problem is that it takes nearly 5-6 minutes to authenticate.
>
> Can anyone suggest me how to  reduce the authencation time?

Which part of the authentication process is slow? Getting the username/
password prompt or connection after entering them? Both of these are delays
you will see with Windows Mobile and neither has anything to do with
FreeRADIUS. Your logs should show that the actual authentication happens in a
matter of seconds or less unless your backend database is slow or you have a
configuration issue. Check your logs and run in debug mode if you suspect a
problem.

Getting the prompt can be sped up by removing all but the essential profiles
for your PDAs wireless networks and setting to connect to APs only. If your
AP SSID is not broadcast, WM will have difficulty with it no matter what you
do but is succesful if you are patient. Usually, after a successful
connection, subsequent connections are quite snappy and don't require
username and password entry as it will be cached.

Connection after entering the user information is often slowed by the
acquiring of the network address and doing all the NetBIOS announcements and
registrations (whether you care about NetBIOS or not, it does it).

Long delays or failures may occur if you are on the fringe of the reception
area or there is interference from other APs and Ad-Hoc networks on the same
or adjacent channel. Obstructions like walls, metal file cabinets, bodies,
etc., must also be considered.

Zoltan Ori