DB Server Advice

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Oct 20 14:27:41 CEST 2005

Hi,

> The current configuration is:
> OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES 3
> PROCESSOR: Dual 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon
> MEMORY : 2GB DDR RAM
> Hard Drive: 2 x 36.4GB SCA Ultra 160 SCSI Hard Drive
> (RAID 1)
> RAID CONTROLLER
> CHASSIS: 2U
> BACKUP AGENT: 	Legato Managed Backup Agent
> NETWRK: Aggregate Bandwidth – 100GB per Month
> (included)
>
> Now we want to re-configure our servers, some one
> suggest me about SUN. But
> i need your suggestions, which will driver our
> database server without any problem.

you dont say how many devices you have or what your concurrent
requests are. your machine description above is a 'not bad beast' for doing
MySQL on - I'm not sure what jumping platforms would acheive if
the basics havent been looked at - ie your actual MySQL configuration
and where the bottleneck really is.  if you dont have a lovely /etc/my.cnf
(or other) which has been tweaked according to your needs and
your drive array hasnt been configured for database usage then
your problem will move with you onto whatever server you use

alan