Time based accounting

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Wed Sep 21 16:57:48 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-21-09 at 04:54 -0700, Nirmal wrote:
> Thanks
>
> Alan DeKok <aland at ox.org> wrote:
>         Nirmal wrote:
>         > Is there any way we can time based accounting Input/Output
>         Octets in free radius ?
>
>         Post process the logs.
>
>         FreeRADIUS doesn't generate the accounting data, the NAS does.
>         So
>         there's not much you can do to FreeRADIUS to make it log the
>         data you
>         need.
>
>         And FreeRADIUS doesn't analyze the accounting data. It just
>         logs
>         them. So if you need to analyze them, you'll need another
>         program.
>
>         Alan DeKok.

Nirmal,

It would appear to me that you are trying to measure I/O traffic
using time, is that correct?

Have you checked to see if the device you are using supports
some kind of session traffic limit rather than trying to use a
session time limit ?

If my presumption was correct and there is no other way of doing
what you want automaticaly, this may be a last resort :

If your equipment provides bandwidth limiting, you may be able
to use successive approximation, by using the maximum amount of
traffic over a specified amount of time to determine the
session time limit. You could then calculate how much traffic
is left and allow the next session to connect for the ammount
of time it would take to exhaust that amount of traffic. I have
not looked into the specifics of how you could do this, but if
you are using some kind of SQL for accounting it shouldn't be too
difficult.