Setup questions- client & user secrets

Padmanabhan Ramaswamy Swamy at BestReg.com
Wed Sep 28 20:31:36 CEST 2005

Hi. I'm fairly new to the RADIUS stuff. I'm trying to setup FreeRadius
1.0.1 as a failover (secondary) server on a remote network. I've
RadTest-ed and NTRadPing-ed the basic installation and it seems to work
fine. My current RADIUS server is a commercial product running on a Win
2k machine (local network).

Exporting the clients & users data from this server for use in the
FreeRadius server gave me encrypted secrets for both clients & users.
The secret strings I get are all 264 characters long. I tried using
these as-is in 'clients.conf' and the 'users' files. FreeRadius won't
even start with these. Should I be using these encrypted secrets in the
clients.conf & users files at all or should I ask for the cleartext
secrets from the NAS clients and use those instead? I'm using plain PPP
(NAS clients' requirement). Does that mean I can use PAP and CHAP
authentication or PAP only?

Thanks.