Allow linking against OpenSSL? (Was Re: [GENERAL] Debian package for freeradius_postgresql module)

Tyler MacDonald tyler at yi.org
Sat Apr 8 00:24:16 CEST 2006

Greetings FreeRadius people,

	This discussion started on the postgresql's "pgsql-general" mailing
list. The problem here is that the freeradius-postgresql package needs to
link against libpgsql, which means that it may be indirectly linked against
openssl. There is a conflict between OpenSSL's BSD license and the GPL which
means that it's not legal to distribute a copy of GPL code that is linked in
this way. It appears that several other GPL apps have added a special clause
to their license that allows them to be linked against OpenSSL.

	Could this be done for freeradius/freeradius-postgresql as well?
This could pave the way towards enhanced freeradius support in Debian,
specifically the addition of freeradius-postgresql to Debian's mainline.

	For your reference, here is the start of the thread on the
pgsql-general list that got us to this point:

	http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-04/msg00247.php

	Thanks,
		Tyler