Freeradius-Users Digest, Vol 16, Issue 18

Phil Thompson phil at yarwell.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 5 08:50:54 CEST 2006

> Re: Password Problem
> From: "Alan DeKok" <aland at deployingradius.com>
> Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 13:04:15 -0400

> PhilT <phil at yarwell.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> 1. In the MySQL database do you have the Attribute set to Password and not
>> something else, for example "11 usernamehere PASSWORD == passwordhere"
>> 2. In Freeradius users file DEFAULT Auth-Type := Local
>
>   NO.  Do NOT SET THAT.  It's NOT NECESSARY.
>
>   That point has been repeated again and again on this list.

no doubt, however it is interesting that many people come to a point
where they make such a setting, don't you find. If you could clarify why
that is and fix it you wouldn't have to shout in mailing lists.

I have just verified it is not necessary by commenting it out, thanks.

I think you're saying at
http://deployingradius.com/documents/configuration/auth_type.html that a
  default auth-type is not necessary and should not be set. Is that so ?
In which case having

DEFAULT Auth-Type = System

in the users file in the FreeRADIUS tarball helps to get us off on the
wrong foot :-)

Phil