user auth against mysql

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Aug 8 22:10:18 CEST 2006

> I do NOT administrate this MySQL database and I have just
> 'databasename + username field + password field' and I just have access
> to this db to authenticate. Nothing more than that.

  I'm not sure what you mean by "access to this DB to authenticate".

> 1) the sql.conf file is filled up with things I do not need, because the
> MySQL db has no structure that corresponds to the sql.conf file. Can I
> simply uncomment all lines I do not need?

  The schema FreeRADIUS uses is pretty much hard-coded into the SQL
module, sorry.  So it can't easily be used with another schema.

> 2) in the accounting and authorize part of radiusd.conf there is an
> entry "sql", but not in "authenticate" as where I'd expect such an
> entry. Why is that?

  Does your SQL DB perform 802.1X authentication?  MS-CHAP?  CHAP?
HTTP digest authentication?

  I thought not.  SQL DB's are data stores, not authentication
servers.  FreeRADIUS is an authentication server, not a data store.