Max ATPS

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Aug 24 10:07:09 CEST 2006

Hi,

> I have installed up and running FreeRADIUS Version 1.0.2. The server is an
> Intel Pentium 4 Xeon 3.0 Ghz, 1GB DDR, HDD 120 SATA.

1.0.2? that would be a very old version. are you sure you
didnt mean 1.1.2 ?

> I need know how many ATPS (attemps per seconds) or haw many minutes per
> months can this scenario support working under stress.

ummm, if you look in the doc directory you'll see a lovely text file
called performance-testing.  if you go through that step by step you'll
be able to benchmark your system quite nicely. I generally set the server
up then slap a load onto it (eg use netperf, bonnie++ and a few 'nice 1' boinc
processes to get the load up to at least 3 or 4 for basic testing)
then run the tests.  on a basic PC without any hardware RAID, offloading
TCPIP network card etc etc and only 2.0GHz of P4 I usually expect to see
at least 100 transactions per second - and thats with MySQL authentication
and accounting enabled (InnoDB formatted tables FWIW)
The only things to watch out for for long term usage is - are you rotating
and managing your logs? are you processing and managing your database tables.

alan