Parse error for entry DEFAULT entry in users file when Auth-Type := SQL

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Dec 4 06:12:50 CET 2006

Gunther wrote:
> I was trying to upgrade from version 1.1.0 to 1.1.3 but when starting
> FreeRadius I received the
> following error:
> "Error: /usr/local/etc/raddb/users[216]: Parse error (check) for entry
> DEFAULT: Unknown value SQL for attribute Auth-Type"

  That's because the SQL module doesn't do authentication.

> I use FR with MySQL and the ./raddb/users file contains the default
> attributes.
> E.g.
> DEFAULT Simultaneous-Use := 1, Auth-Type := sql

  Why are you forcing Auth-Type to SQL?

>         Idle-Timeout = 3600,
>         Acct-Interim-Interval = 180
>
> This worked fine until FR 1.1.1 and stopped working with 1.1.2.

  No, it did NOT work in 1.1.1.  It was IGNORED in 1.1.1, due to a bug
in the server.

> I found that one change in the ./src/lib/valuepair.c file caused this
> problem:
> It seems that the pairmake function does not return a valid pair when the
> pair is 'Auth-Type := SQL'.

  Yes, because the SQL module doesn't do authentication.

> if my users file entry is simply not correct?

  It's not correct.

> In a posting from Oct 2001 I saw the following:
>>  If you want to do SQL authentication, you should use 'Auth-Type := SQL'
>> in the 'users' file.

  If that was a post from me, it's a typo.  It's wrong.