Parse error for entry DEFAULT entry in users file when Auth-Type := SQL

Gunther freeradius at caribsms.com
Tue Dec 5 05:38:30 CET 2006

> Alan DeKok wrote
> > I was trying to upgrade from version 1.1.0 to 1.1.3 but
> when starting
> > FreeRadius I received the following error:
> > "Error: /usr/local/etc/raddb/users[216]: Parse error
> (check) for entry
> > DEFAULT: Unknown value SQL for attribute Auth-Type"
>
>   That's because the SQL module doesn't do authentication.
>
> > I use FR with MySQL and the ./raddb/users file contains the default
> > attributes.
> > E.g.
> > DEFAULT Simultaneous-Use := 1, Auth-Type := sql
>
>   Why are you forcing Auth-Type to SQL?
>
> >         Idle-Timeout = 3600,
> >         Acct-Interim-Interval = 180
> >
> > This worked fine until FR 1.1.1 and stopped working with 1.1.2.
>
>   No, it did NOT work in 1.1.1.  It was IGNORED in 1.1.1, due
> to a bug in the server.

Yes, that is what I thought.

I changed my users file to:

DEFAULT Simultaneous-Use := 1
	Idle-Timeout = 3600,
	Acct-Interim-Interval = 180

and things are working fine.

> > In a posting from Oct 2001 I saw the following:
> >>  If you want to do SQL authentication, you should use
> 'Auth-Type := SQL'
> >> in the 'users' file.
>
>   If that was a post from me, it's a typo.  It's wrong.
>
>   Alan DeKok.
> --

What I found in the 'ancient' times:
http://lists.freeradius.org/mailman/htdig/freeradius-users/2001-October/0025
18.html

My initial reason for the upgrade from 1.1.0 was a problem with my backup
RADIUS server.
The idle RADIUS daemon simply died for unknown reasons. It looked to me that
RADIUS did
a reload of the configuration files and got killed. This happend in in
normal and debug mode.
With 1.1.3 I did not yet experience that problem.

Thanks for your response Alan!

Gunther