Zombie accounting processes

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Mon Feb 13 19:39:30 CET 2006

George-Cristian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?B=EErzan?= <gcbirzan at constanta.rdsnet.ro> wrote:
> If I use threads, accounting stop processes remain as zombie processes.
> After a day or so, the server would die, not being able to create more
> processes. So, I've started restarting the RADIUS server hourly, but
> that's quite an ugly hack.

  I recall it being a bug in pthreads on some platforms.

  I know it works fine on my Linux systems (FC3, RH9), so it's a
little difficult for me to debug it.

> waitpid(22058, NULL, WNOHANG)           = -1 ECHILD (No child processes)
>
> 22058 exists, and is another process that hung.

  That's definitely a bug in your OS somewhere.  If 22058 exists, and
is "defunct", then the parent process calling "waitpid" on it should
*never* get ECHILD.