Zombie accounting processes

George-Cristian Bîrzan gcbirzan at constanta.rdsnet.ro
Mon Feb 13 20:16:46 CET 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 13:39 -0500, Alan DeKok wrote:
> > waitpid(22058, NULL, WNOHANG)           = -1 ECHILD (No child
> processes)
> >
> > 22058 exists, and is another process that hung.
>
>   That's definitely a bug in your OS somewhere.  If 22058 exists, and
> is "defunct", then the parent process calling "waitpid" on it should
> *never* get ECHILD.

It's not the parent, from what I can tell. At which point it should do
that, no?

--
George-Cristian Bîrzan
Network Engineer

delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver
this message to anyone. In such a case, you should destroy this message
and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail.