Where are these "Client-IP-Address = 127.0.0.1" messages coming from?

Matthew Schumacher matt.s at aptalaska.net
Thu Jan 12 19:30:36 CET 2006

Lewis Bergman wrote:
> Matthew Schumacher wrote:
>
>> I'm getting accounting messages like these that seem to be coming from
>> the loopback interface, but `tcpdump -i lo` doesn't see them so they are
>> not coming from a local client.  If they are not coming from a local
>> client then how can I figure out where they are coming from?
>>
>> Thu Jan 12 07:19:58 2006
>>         Acct-Status-Type = Stop
>>         NAS-IP-Address = x.x.x.x      (legit nas IP)
>>         Acct-Delay-Time = 0
>>         User-Name = "user"
>>         NAS-Port = 536936515
>>         Acct-Session-Id = "0A000067"
>>         Service-Type = Framed-User
>>         Framed-Protocol = PPP
>>         Framed-IP-Address = x.x.x.x    (legit Framed-IP-Address)
>>         Acct-Session-Time = 0
>>         Acct-Input-Octets = 0
>>         Acct-Output-Octets = 0
>>         Acct-Input-Packets = 0
>>         Acct-Output-Packets = 0
>>         Client-IP-Address = 127.0.0.1
>>         Acct-Unique-Session-Id = "1cc41474b27ed376"
>>         Timestamp = 1137082798
>
> These appear to be from the loopback of the NAS, not the radius server.

Thanks for your reply, however it doesn't make sense to me.  How can the
Client-IP-Address be 127.0.0.1 if the radius server records the source
address of the packet in the Client-IP-Address attribute?  If the packet
came from the loopback of the nas then I would expect the NAS-IP-Address
to be 127.0.0.1 but the Client-IP-Address to be where the packet was
sourced from.

schu