rlm_ippool and tcp TIME_WAIT state

Sebastien Cantos s.cantos at neopost.com
Wed Jul 19 10:40:22 CEST 2006

Hi,

I’ve noticed that rlm_ippool is nearly always reassigning an IP address that
has just been releasing for a new connexion. This cause some TCP connexion
problems because of the TIME_WAIT state.

Scenario:

1/ one device connects using source port 1024 (ppp) and gets an IP address
from freeradius

2/ this device disconnects, the ip is freed from the pool

3/ another devices connects using source port 1024 and gets the same ip
address as before

4/ the connexion is impossible to the server because the connexion of last
device is still in TIME_WAIT state

How can I make sure an IP address is not assigned before some time period
(240 seconds, time period of the TIME_WAIT state) after being released ?

Regards,

Neopost Diva

127 avenue Joseph Pierre Boitelet
BP50
84302 CAVAILLON Cedex
FRANCE

Sébastien, Cantos
IT Manager
 <mailto:s.cantos at neopost.com%3c!--123mms_/email--%3e> s.cantos at neopost.com

Phone: + 33 4 90 76 08 08
Fax:  + 33 1 40 39 23 23

 <http://www.neopost.com> http://www.neopost.com

The information contained in this message or any of its attachments is
confidential and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee. The
information may also be legally privileged. The Internet cannot guarantee
the integrity of this message. Neopost shall not therefore be liable for the
message if modified. The views expressed may not be company policy, but the
personal views of the originator. If you are not the addressee, any
disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other dissemination or use of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in
error, please contact  <mailto:postmaster.diva at neopost.com>
postmaster.diva at neopost.com and then delete this message.