NAS table fields

K. Hoercher wbhoer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 21:05:54 CEST 2006

On 6/9/06, Cliff Hayes <chayes at afo.net> wrote:
> For example, in the clients.conf file, the only required fields are SECRET
> and SHORTNAME.  In the NAS table, SHORTNAME is optional (can be NULL), and
> NASNAME cannot be NULL.  So, do I copy what I had in the clients.conf
> SHORTNAME into the NAS table NASNAME?  If so, what is SHORTNAME FOR?

nasname is equivalent to a client stanza's name in clients.conf  as in
"Defines a RADIUS client.  The format is 'client
[hostname|ip-address]'"
Be sure that a hostname is resolvable at start time.

shortname equals shortname insofar :) Sometimes it gets printed out
(debug log, dialup admin) instead of the fq client name.

> Also, what is COMMUNITY for?

Not sure, looks like being related to snmp stuff. If youd don't have
something like that now you will not need it.

> Which fields are used by FreeRadius and which ones are just for reference?
Not sure, just wanted to supply few hints off my head

Regards,
  Klaus Hoercher