Freeradius 1.1.1: 'radclient' incorrect Authenticator

Alan DeKok aland at nitros9.org
Tue Jun 13 18:58:22 CEST 2006

"Robles Rodriguez,Alejandro" <Alejandro.RoblesRodriguez at tre.se> wrote:
>   I have traced (ethereal) the requests I'm sending and only 256 are
> actually unique. Thereafter they are repeated over and over throughout
> the requests provided in the input file. It seems like the IDs are being
> reused.

  Yes, the ID's are being re-used.  That's what RADIUS does.  But the
request authenticators should NOT be re-used.  I don't see that
happening in my tests.

>   I agree there it's were the "vector" is set (by invoking the MD5
> library) however, I don't see where that "vector" is made random for
> every request.

  Because it's changed for every new request.

>  Again I might be mistaken but the end result is what I described
> above, that the same request ID gets the exact same Authenticator
> value.

  And the vector generation doesn't depend on the ID, so I don't see
how it gets the same authenticator.  And in any case, it shouldn't be
happening.