Problem with rlm_perl.

Nikos Diamantis ndiam at cs.ntua.gr
Mon Mar 6 14:24:39 CET 2006

wazn at sibmail.ru wrote:
> rlm_perl: perl_parse failed: /etc/freeradius/example.pl not found or has
> syntax errors.
> radiusd.conf[211]: test_module: Module instantiation failed.
> radiusd.conf[245] Unknown module "test_module".
> radiusd.conf[242] Failed to parse accounting section.
>
> The file exists:
> # ls -l /etc/freeradius/example.pl
> -rw-r-----  1 root freerad 4620 Jan 24 14:26 /etc/freeradius/example.pl
>
> Perl says that syntax is OK:
> # perl -c /etc/freeradius/example.pl
> /etc/freeradius/example.pl syntax OK

It is:

<*quote*>
    use Data::Dumper;
</*quote*>

in "example.pl" that causes the trouble.

Quote from:

http://www.perl.com/doc/manual/html/pod/perlembed.html#Compiling_your_C_program

<*quote*>
Also, every C program that uses Perl must link in the perl library.
What's that, you ask? Perl is itself written in C; the perl library is
the collection of compiled C programs that were used to create your perl
executable ( /usr/bin/perl or equivalent). (Corollary: you can't use
Perl from your C program unless Perl has been compiled on your machine,
or installed properly--that's why you shouldn't blithely copy Perl
executables from machine to machine without also copying the lib directory.)
</*quote*>

So if you include:

    -lperl

while compiling radiusd then you get what is needed to dynamically load
perl modules. I don't know if this is the right way, but, at least, it
works for me.

I wonder if this library inclusion could be automated at the configure
stage...

> Where may be the error? If the errors are in the perl module "example.pl",
> how do I see the extended output?

An answer to this question would interest me, too!
If this is not possible, then which is the simpliest aproach to
simulating a "radius wrapper environment" to debug a perl script?

--
Nikolaos A. Diamantis