freeradius newbie

Gunther freeradius at caribsms.com
Fri Mar 10 06:24:59 CET 2006

With FC4 you can either use the existing RPM (yum install ....) or the new
1.1.0 FreeRadius source code and compile it.
It actually compiles without any problems on FC4. The installation path
(make install) is a bit different from the RPM (/etc/raddb)
path as the binaries/libraries (I guess) are installed in different
directories (/usr/local/etc/raddb), but that can be switch with a
./configure option

First install MySQL, FreeRadius, phpMyAdmin ...

You then edit the corresponding radiusd.conf file and modify it for sql
support.
The following examples might not be complete, but they are direct cut and
pastes from my files and it works fine.

radiusd.conf:
$INCLUDE  ${confdir}/sql.conf
authorize {
        #  Look in an SQL database.  The schema of the database
        #  is meant to mirror the "users" file.
        #
        #  See "Authorization Queries" in sql.conf
        sql
}

accounting {
        #  Log traffic to an SQL database.
        #
        #  See "Accounting queries" in sql.conf
        sql
}
session {
#       radutmp
        #
        #  See "Simultaneous Use Checking Querie" in sql.conf
        sql
}
post-auth {
        #  After authenticating the user, do another SQL qeury.
        #
        #  See "Authentication Logging Queries" in sql.conf
        sql
}

sql.conf:
        server = "localhost"
        login = "root"
        password = "rootpass"

To manage the MySQL DB you would use phpMyAdmin (www.
<http://www.phpmyadmin.net> phpmyadmin.net)

You can then start FreeRadius with 'service radiusd start'.

To get detailed debug information you can edit the /etc/init.d/radiusd file
and increase the debug level:
        daemon $RADIUSD -y -XXXX -d $CONFIGD

The -XXXX is the debug level. Debug information is written to STDout and you
can redirect it into a file
with e.g. 'service radiusd start >> radDebug.log'

Hope this helps!
Gunther

  _____