Freeradius-Users Digest, Vol 11, Issue 58

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Wed Mar 15 23:00:26 CET 2006

Hi,

> I am away that this book is available, and we are trying to purchase it,
> but it will need to be delivered.

O'reilly have an online service. very handy.

http://safari.oreilly.com

> I did exactly what the instructions told me to do.  I downloaded and
> extracted the tarball.  Configured, make and make install.  Was there
> more I need to do to configure it with mysql?

download and extract the tarballs? in that case you are NOT using
the Fedora RPMS. which means that you need to make sure 10000% that
the ./configure script did not print out ANY error messages...and
means that you have to have all of the prerequisite development RPMs
installed on your box.

> >  make sure the right calls are in it.
>
> Not sure what this means!!!

in radius.conf you must ensure that the 'sql' method is used in
the correct places. in sql.conf you must ensure the correct
DB is used, the correct service and use the correct SQL procedures
to query the tables.

> > use mysql or use one of the myriad of front-ends to use MySQL via a
> web
> interface - mysqladmin etc. PERL scripts using the DBD system too.
>
> Where do I find these myriads of front-ends?

google.

> > Users? the users should be looking at FreeRADIUS. it authenticates
> them and
> accounts them via the NAS. or do you mean system admin users?
>
> For sys admin users.

we use the command line and SQL directly. have a few scripts to query, show
and enter any new data. its all too easy to wipe your entire DB away
with a GUI ;-)

> > yes. in MySQL tables - then use rlm_accounting calls to make sure the
> dates
> etc are within those ranges.
>
> Where do I find these.

> I have been to the archives and back.  I have searched countless hours
> for some better examples of installing this process using MySql on
> Fedora.

yum install freeradius-mysql
chkconfig radiusd on
chkconfig mysqld on

then edit the /etc/raddb files until happiness

as mentioned before, simple searched with any decent web search
engine will give you fantastic resources.
eg http://www.frontios.com/freeradius.html
(thanks Scott!)

alan