incorrect radacct AcctSessionTime

Gunther freeradius at caribsms.com
Thu Mar 16 03:17:35 CET 2006

> Guy Fraser wrote
> Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 11:24 AM
>
> On Tue, 2006-14-03 at 15:16 -0500, Alan DeKok wrote:
> > "Gunther" <freeradius at caribsms.com> wrote:
> > > From time to time I see entries in the radacct AcctSessionTime
> > > column with over 1 billion seconds, despite that the
> StopTime minus
> > > StartTime is less than 5 seconds.
> > > With FR 1.0.5 it was a few times 2147483647:
> >
> >   2147483647 is 2^31-1.  It looks like a signed/unsigned problem to
> > me.
>
> I used to see Acct-Session-Time responses from USR Hyper
> Cards like that every so often, the NAS was at fault and
> required a reboot.
>
> We would then calculate the time :
> Example,
> Acct-Session-Time = (Acct-Stop-Time - Acct-Stop-Delay) -
> (Acct-Start-Time + Acct-Start-Delay)
>
> We did it that way to give the customer the benefit of any
> error possibly incurred by delays. How you do this in real
> life will depend on what kind of DB you use to store the
> accounting data.

I am using MySQL and I simply exclude these entries as the amount of data is
usually below 200 bytes.
The problem seem to come from Chillispot in connection with mac
authentication (macallowed).
We put the number of macallowed users down, using UAM instead and it seems
to work. Had no entries
of that kind for over 24 hours.