Vendor Specific IDs

Eliot, Wireless and Server Administrator, Great Lakes Internet support8 at greatlakes.net
Thu Mar 16 18:21:43 CET 2006

Before I start, let me just ask if there are any already created
attributes that control bandwidth rates in the Tx and Rx directions
which take a string as a value?

I found USR-Initial-Tx-Link-Data-Rate and USR-Initial-Rx-Link-Data-Rate,
but they take enumerated values that will not allow me to set up generic
service rate (like 256Kbps or 1Mbps). I found a couple of other
attributes that specific just "Data-Rate", but I can't find any that do
Rx and Tx data rates.

So, barring the existence of already created attributes, I'd like to set
up my own vendor specific attributes -- which leads me to my main
question:

How do I choose a number for the Vendor-Id? For instance, Bristol's
vendor ID is:

VENDOR          Bristol          4363

Do we have to request these from somewhere? Or, can we just pick a free
one? Our AS number from ARIN is free (11541); can I just use that?

Also, I have a secondary question related to this. I am setting up some
bandwidth limiting scripts on our router that will limit customers'
bandwidth usage. The idea is to execute a script when they authenticate
which receives the AVPs from the Access-Accept packet (which would
include the above mentioned Rx and Tx data rates). The script would take
those attributes and instate some tc and iptables rules to shape the
customers' bandwidth. When the user logs off, or the AP notices the
client is gone, the AP sends an Accounting-Stop record FreeRADIUS.
FreeRADIUS would then execute a cleanup script which brings down the
rules that the first script instated.

So, my second question is: When FreeRADIUS calls that second script,
can/does it send the original Access-Accept attributes to the cleanup
script?

Thanks for any and all help.

Eliot Gable
Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA)
Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP)
Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
CompTIA Security+ Certified
CompTIA Network+ Certified
Network and Systems Administrator
Great Lakes Internet, Inc.
112 North Howard
Croswell, MI 48422
(810) 679-3395
(877) 558-8324

Now offering Broadband Wireless Internet access in Croswell, Lexington,
Brown City, Yale, and Sandusky. Call for details.