Module not loading

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Thu Mar 16 23:31:58 CET 2006

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Tom=E1s_A=2E_Rossi=22?= <tomas at mecon.gov.ar> wrote:
> That's not my point. I'm not trying to say that you should do that but
> rather to print some kind of message showing that the server has read
> the module instantiation.

  Why?  It doesn't, in fact, read the module instantiation because it
doesn't even look for it, because the module isn't being used.

> FreeRADIUS is a very nice product though I think at least you should
> concede me that it lacks of good documentation IMHO.

  You're joking, right?  Have you ever tried to use a *commercial*
server?  Many of those make our documentation look world-leading.

> I was trying to add a module not knowing of the above mentioned
> behavior.

  No. You were trying to add a module without telling the server to
use it, and you were surprised that the server didn't use it.

  If the server *had* printed out the message you wanted, odds are
that your next question would be "why doesn't the server use the
module when I send it a packet?  I listed it in the instantiate
section!"

  Yes, we've been through this dicussion before with other people.
You're not the first to run into this.  And the end result of what you
want is an endless series of messages explaining why the server isn't
doing what you think it's doing.

  It's a lot easier to have the server to print out what is *is*
doing, and then tell people to read the documentation to see why it
isn't doing what they expect.  Usually, their expectations are wrong,
and the documentation contains the information to correct the
expectation.

> It results in only adding the entry inside the instantiation section
> and testing if 'radiusd -X' returned some message to give me a clue
> that the module instantiation was parsed at least.

  And what did you expect the server would do after that?  You still
haven't answered that question.  So you're not explaining what you
thought was going on, or what you were trying to do.  You're just
complaining that the server isn't doing what you want.