rlm_perl question (was Re: General question about authentication/authorization)

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Mar 18 02:45:21 CET 2006

George C. Kaplan wrote:

> Or you're using an authentication method (Kerberos, in my case) that
> isn't one of the standard methods assocated with the authorization
> module.  (As Alan points out, you have to know what you're doing to make
> this work).

Hmm. PAP seems to be the big problem area in these situations. I have a
notion the correct thing would be:

authorize {
   preprocess
   chap
   mshcap
   eap
   files
   # final auth type
   pap
}
authenticate {
   Auth-Type PAP {
     # how to auth PAP requests
     AMODULE  # default "unix"
     BMODULE  # default "pap"
   }
   Auth-Type CHAP {
     chap
   }
   Auth-Type MS-CHAP {
     mschap
   }
   # why does "eap" not live inside an Auth-Type?
   Auth-Type EAP {
     eap

...which would approximate the current defaults. What would be really
neat for cleanness would be Autz-Type subsections inside authenticate, e.g.:

authenticate {
   Autz-Type SERVICE1 {
     Auth-Type PAP {
       pam
     }
     Auth-Type CHAP {
       chap
     }
     Auth-Type MS-CHAP {
       mschap-DOMAIN1

   Autz-Type SERVICE2 {
     Auth-Type PAP {
       ldap2

Problem is that's not terribly backwards-compatible.

> Right; you configure each authorization module to set the appropriate
> Auth-Type.

Sort-of bad example. In theory, you should only ever need to set that if
you have >1 competing module for a particular Auth-Type. My example did,
your use case by the sounds of it does not.

Out of interest, are you finding rlm_krb5 stable? Under high concurrency?