rlm_perl question (was Re: General question about authentication/authorization)

George C. Kaplan gckaplan at ack.berkeley.edu
Sun Mar 19 02:40:51 CET 2006

On Mar 17, 2006, at 5:45 PM, Phil Mayers wrote:

> George C. Kaplan wrote:
>> Or you're using an authentication method (Kerberos, in my case) that
>> isn't one of the standard methods assocated with the authorization
>> module.  (As Alan points out, you have to know what you're doing
>> to make
>> this work).
>
> Hmm. PAP seems to be the big problem area in these situations. I
> have a notion the correct thing would be:

[...]

>> Right; you configure each authorization module to set the appropriate
>> Auth-Type.
>
> Sort-of bad example. In theory, you should only ever need to set
> that if you have >1 competing module for a particular Auth-Type. My
> example did, your use case by the sounds of it does not.

I don't think I understand your examples.  A NAS is sending a User-
Name and User-Password, and somehow I have to tell radiusd, "Use
Kerberos to authenticate these users."  I don't see how I can do that
except by setting 'Auth-Type = Kerberos' *somewhere*.

> Out of interest, are you finding rlm_krb5 stable? Under high
> concurrency?

Yes, except (and it's a big "except") for signals.  I posted
something about this a little while ago:  when radiusd gets a HUP or
TERM signal, it sometimes becomes unresponsive, using 98% CPU.  A
'kill -9' is usually necessary to get it unstuck.  I'm not sure, but
I think it happens when a signal arrives just as rlm_krb5 is being
called.

If I don't signal the daemon, it hums along with no problems.

George C. Kaplan                            gckaplan at ack.berkeley.edu
Communication & Network Services            510-643-0496
University of California at Berkeley