Still having issue with radtest

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Mon Mar 27 06:23:57 CEST 2006

"Atkins, Dwane P" <ATKINSD at uthscsa.edu> wrote:
> I apologize for not using proper terms since this is new to me, I tend
> to associate to something I do know.

  Which can help sometimes.  Not always.

> 1.) Since I attempting to use the sql database for authentication
> purpose, would it be best if I made sure that radius at localhost (my
> username I chose) be in the users file and also be granted privileges on
> the sql database (I chose to call it radius as well)

  I'm not sure what that means.  You're not being very specific about
what's what.

> 2.)  When doing the radtest, would the proper syntax be radtest radius
> radiustest localhost 1645 baseball (with baseball being the shared
> secret also entered into the clients.conf file) or should there be
> quotes around the shared secret.

  It's just another comman-line option.  It doesn't need quotes.  This
is Unix 101.

> 3.)  I have read documentation.  I have bought the O'Reilly Book and
> read it.  I have reinstalled my server and all to no avail.  I
> appreciate the help you all give, but I am stuck.  I am sure I
> overlooked the issue, but at this point, I cannot see it.

  I think you're trying to start by making complex configurations,
without really understanding what the terminology is, what it means,
or how the server works.  Start off with the simplest configuration
and test it.  Then, work towards a more complex configuration.