freeradius + pptp + mysql

Alan DeKok aland at nitros9.org
Tue May 2 01:49:48 CEST 2006

Michael Gale <michael.gale at pason.com> wrote:
> My client is a XP Pro laptop using MS-CHAP v2 I believe

  Nope.  It's not sending MS-CHAP in the request packet.

> I have followed the documents from the following locations:
> http://poptop.sourceforge.net/dox/radius_mysql.html
> http://www.frontios.com/freeradius.html

  And heavily edited the standard configurations files, probably.

  Please don't. The standard configuration is there for a reason: it
works.

>    modcall[authorize]: module "mschap" returns noop for request 0

  That works, at least.  The server isn't trying to do MS-CHAP.

> modcall: entering group Auth-Type for request 0
>    rlm_mschap: No MS-CHAP-Challenge in the request

  This only happens if you force MS-CHAP authentication.  Don't.
You've probably added entries in SQL to force "Auth-Type = MS-CHAP".
Don't.

  And the request is unhelpful:

> rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 127.0.0.1:32804, id=83, length=65
>          Service-Type = Framed-User
>          Framed-Protocol = PPP
>          User-Name = "testuser"
>          Calling-Station-Id = "10.10.0.3"
>          NAS-IP-Address = 127.0.0.1
>          NAS-Port = 0

  There's no password or MS-CHAP attributes in it.  The request cannot
be authenticated.

    Use the standard FreeRADIUS config files.  They work.  Make pptp
send MS-CHAP attributes.