anyone know what actually causes this? "FATAL! Server is too busyto process requests"

Tony Redstone tony.redstone at googlemail.com
Fri May 19 01:48:15 CEST 2006

Hi Michael,

On 5/18/06, Mitchell, Michael J <Michael.Mitchell at team.telstra.com> wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>
> I've run into this problem in the past. What version of freeRADIUS are
> you running?

until recently we were running 1.0.5 but we've just upgraded to 1.1.1
and we see the same issue (which doesn't surprise me since the
relevant threads.c code doesn't appear to have changed).

> Like you I found that it appears more often when proxying requests to a
> home server - I guess the reqeusts sit in the queue longer waiting for a
> reply.
>
> Alan was kind enough to supply a patch within hours for 1.1.0 and later.
> It was bug #331.

looks quite relevant, I'm going to try to understand the patch and
then perhaps apply the patch on one of our servers to see if it helps.

> However, we are still using 1.0.1, which couldn't take advantange of
> that patch. I had to make some small bandaid changes to request_dequeue,
> which reduced the change of this happening, at the expense of dropping
> some requests. Let me know if you need those patches.

this also sounds interesting, under extreme conditions, when, in our
case, BT dropped around 30k users simultaneously during one
maintenance window (SDH MUX software changes), we had to resort to
forcibly killing and restarting our freeradius proxies every 5s in
order to get users back online.  it would handle requests for the
first 2-3s after being started and then pegged at 100% cpu and served
no further requests.  any patches which touch the request load are of
definite interest to us.  I would appreciate it if you could forward
them to me?

Tony