anyone know what actually causes this? "FATAL! Server is too busyto process requests"

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Fri May 19 06:47:41 CEST 2006

Tony Redstone wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> On 5/18/06, Mitchell, Michael J <Michael.Mitchell at team.telstra.com> wrote:
>

> this also sounds interesting, under extreme conditions, when, in our
> case, BT dropped around 30k users simultaneously during one
> maintenance window (SDH MUX software changes), we had to resort to
> forcibly killing and restarting our freeradius proxies every 5s in
> order to get users back online.  it would handle requests for the
> first 2-3s after being started and then pegged at 100% cpu and served
> no further requests.  any patches which touch the request load are of
> definite interest to us.  I would appreciate it if you could forward
> them to me?
>
> Tony

For my last major upgrade push, lasting some few months, I put in quite
a bunch of patches for the system I am currently running -- iirc, thread
requests and dying after the "thundering herd" was something I tried to
deal with. Currently the last thing I attempted to address was
preventing core dumps after mysql database becomes "locked".

YMMV but you can have a look at it at http://www.jmaimon.com/freeradius
specfically from the debian repository, grab the source package and look
at the packages I am using today right now.

Joe