not sure I am on the right track with unbuntu and freeradius

Cameron Cowie cdc at limeline.sl
Tue Nov 7 09:57:43 CET 2006

Hi all:
Still havening some issues running free radius on Ubuntu.

root at XXXXXXX:/sbin# free radius -v
free radius: free radius Version 1.0.2, for host , built on Aug  6 2006
at 20:11:24
Copyright (C) 2000-2003 The free radius server project.

Now I understand that I have to do the following to get the pid to fire
correctly as root

mkdir /var/run/freeradius
chown freerad freerad /var/run/freeradius

when I do that it fires up correctly and waits for connections.

One issue is that power where I am us spotty at best and power loss
happen frequently and I loose the /var/run/freeradius/ directory at reboot.

I know that /var/run is on a ram drive so I set it to be permanently
mounted (cheated and used webmin for that).

Why does the /var/run/freeradius directory disapear after a reboot? Am I
missing something here?

Am I writing to the right group is this a Freeradius issue or and Ubuntu
issue, and if it is a ubuntu issue should I be running under another O/S ?

Any and all help and comments is appreciated.

Cameron