howto get/send the fullname of an user

James Wakefield jamesw at deakin.edu.au
Thu Nov 9 13:28:55 CET 2006

Ariel VIVES wrote:
> James Wakefield wrote:
>> Ariel VIVES wrote:
>>> Hello the list,
>>>

>>> I'm starting with freeradius.
>>> Authentication works fine !
>>>
>>> But the informations I get is only the username (le login name in
>>> /etc/passwd).
>>>
>>> How do I get the Fullname ? Or others informations (like mail, home
>>> directory, ...)
>>> Is it possible ?
>>> is it a configuration  of the server or a request from the client ?
>>>
>>> thanks for your help
>>>

>> Hi Ariel,
>>
>> Can you give us a bit more information about how you're using
>> freeradius?  From your description, it looks vaguely like you're using
>> pam_radius to authenticate logins against a freeradius server - is that it?
>>

> Hi,
>
> in fact, the authentication is done with the file /etc/shadow (NIS users
> but doesn't matter I think)
>
> my requests are done with a web interface (php => php-radius) to
> authenticate users (and this works well).
>

> Hope it's enough ...

You're trying to use radius for something it's not really intended for.
  You'd be better off querying that information from a real directory
service, like LDAP, or NIS, if you want it quicker and nastier.

--
James Wakefield,
Unix Administrator, Information Technology Services Division

Phone: 03 5227 8690 International: +61 3 5227 8690
Fax:   03 5227 8866 International: +61 3 5227 8866
E-mail:   james.wakefield at deakin.edu.au
Website:  http://www.deakin.edu.au