ULTRA IMPORTANT! Proxy - Assertion failed in listen.c, line 558 error

Guilherme Franco guilhermefranco at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 19:48:47 CEST 2006

HI,

Please, this is a very important problem that is affecting thousands
of customers of mine:

I have 2 realms for send proxy requests (foo.com and bar.net)

If the proxy server foo.com goes down (for whatever reason) this happens:

rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 192.168.1.1 port 1385,
id=21, length=60
        User-Name = "user at foo.com"
        User-Password = "password"
  Processing the authorize section of radiusd.conf
modcall:  entering group authorize for request 20
    rlm_realm: Looking up realm "foo.com" for User-Name = "user at foo.com"
    rlm_realm: Found realm "foo.com"
    rlm_realm: Proxying request from user user to realm foo.com
    rlm_realm: Adding Realm = "foo.com"
    rlm_realm: Preparing to proxy authentication request to realm "foo.com"
  rlm_eap: No EAP-Message, not doing EAP
modcall: group authorize returns noop for request 20
Sending Access-Request of id 16 to foo.com port 1645
        User-Name = "user at foo.com"
        User-Password = "password"
        NAS-IP-Address = 192.168.1.1
        Proxy-State = 0x3231
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Waking up in 1 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Waking up in 1 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Waking up in 1 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Waking up in 1 seconds...
rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 192.168.1.1 port 1385,
id=21, length=60
Sending duplicate proxied request to home server foo.com port 1645 - ID: 16
Assertion failed in listen.c, line 558
Aborted

Then my radiusd dies and I need to bring it up again.

This is incredibly critical because if domain foo.com dies, my
freeradius server dies too, and in consequence, I can't proxy requests
to bar.net (which have more than 21.000,00 users!)

Thanks!