O'Reillys Radius Book - Worth buying

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Apr 16 11:07:17 CEST 2007

Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
> What put me off the O'Rielly book was it's age.. Although I only started
> using FreeRADIUS with 1.1.4 , i've seen pretty rapid development.
> So I was concerned about how much relevance a book published in 2002 has
> today.

  It covers RADIUS.  It's good for people who are completely new to RADIUS.

> There are also amazingly useful, mostly undocumented features like SQL
> Xlat, which won't be covered anywhere except the mailing list archives.

  As always, patches are welcome.  Even patches to the documentation.

> Oh Btw on a completely unrelated subject, if you fix the 'Use
> Client-Ip-Address/ Packet-Src-IP-Address attribute as a check item' then
> I can push the CVS head out live and give you some proper feedback ;)

  Yeah, it turns out that some of the Packet-Src-IP-Address compares
weren't even registered.  The code has been re-shuffled, and it should
now work, including with regular expressions.

  You'll have to list the "expr" module in the "instantiate" section for
 Packet-Src-IP-Address to work, though.