Freeradius / NAS issue

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Aug 8 21:20:59 CEST 2007

Andy Billington wrote:
> debug didnt seem a likely source of info given that this is a server
> that has been functionig without incident for six months and no
> changes have been made to its config. I have been looking at network /
> routing issues but couldnt figure out why some sites would work and
> not others, if it was network / routing?

  If the RADIUS server sends packets, it's done with RADIUS.  After
that, check that the packets make it onto the local network, to the next
router, etc.

> Surely all would work, or none, if it was that ie. the NAS woudl
> reject all transactions not just some of them? Not that interested in
> accounting packet problems except as an explanation of why sessions
> are dropping _in some cases_ but not in all; the authentication
> traffic seems to be fine.

  If all of the authentication traffic is OK, and accounting doesn't
work, then the accounting shared secrets are likely wrong.

> Is there any network / routing related reason why a NAS would accept
> some FR responses but not others?

  If a NAS accepts one Access-Accept from a server, it should accept
them all.  If it accepts on Accounting-Response from a server, it should
accept them all.