lan users data accounting

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Fri Aug 10 09:49:32 CEST 2007

satish patel wrote:
> dear all
>
>               is there any radius or freeradius feature with accouting
> my lan users data means user authentication by lan and freeradius
> accouting that data

If you mean, can you have something other than FreeRADIUS as an
authenticator and still record the users accounting data .
That is entirely dependent on your NAS... Certainly the protocol
supports it, and theres even an accounting record attribute specifying
what authenticated the user, the accounting record is in regards to.

We have a static WEP bssid set up on our access points, and the access
points still generate accounting packets for the client associated.

If however your talking about some magical feature in FreeRADIUS, where
it sits on your lan at some key point , and generates accounting data
... then no.

It would be perfectly possible to write a client that did this with
passive packet inspection, which could then forward on the results to
the FreeRADIUS server, however FreeRADIUS won't do this itself.