rlm_passwd and EAP-MD5

Kolbjørn Barmen kolbjorn.barmen at uninett.no
Sat Dec 1 15:14:00 CET 2007

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007, A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > But is this for real?  I need to restart the server if someone changes
> > their password in the file that is configured with rlm_passwd?
> >
> > If so, that's not just a minor annoyance :P
>
> there are other modules which provide non-restart functionality
> such as SQL password modules - there has also been recent
> work in CVS head to make certain modules compatible with a HUP.

And the obvious comparable module to rlm_passwd; rlm_unix.

My mistake was to think that rlm_passwd was just like rlm_unix, only with
the additional possibility that I could decide the format of the file.

> however, HUP and server restart - think logically about what is
> the difference? When you HUP you tear down and make unavailable
> the server anyway. some very nasty things happen in most
> daemons that are hup'able. at least the freeradius HUP work
> that has been undertaken keeps all the states alive.

I dont see any major difference, any of them require interaction,
and that's my issue here.

--
Kolbjørn Barmen
UNINETT Driftsenter