Login rejected. Error 691.

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Dec 3 11:58:26 CET 2007

pungki arianto wrote:
> The user 'user' already registered inside /etc/password:
> user:*:1006:1006:user_radius_sisni:/home/user:/usr/sbin/nologin

  Ok...

> In radius.conf , proxy_request is set to No. And the $INCLUDE
> ${confdir}/proxy.conf is already commented.
> But I still got this message:  rlm_realm: Proxy reply, or no User-Name.
> Ignoring.

  The "realms" module is being used.  See "suffix" and "prefix" in
radiusd.conf.

> If I tried to dial the Radius from Windows terminal, it always give me
> an error like this:
> *Error 691*: Access was denied because the user name and/or password was
> invalid on the domain

  The Windows machine is using MS-CHAP.  You cannot authenticate users
who are in /etc/password using MS-CHAP.  It's impossible.

  The server needs access to the clear-text, or NT hashed password.

  (debug log of accounting packets deleted.  It has nothing to do with
authentication requests.)