Stale session problem

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Jan 16 11:51:45 CET 2007

Jan Mulders wrote:
> I would be very interested in this. We had some downtime on a 30
> concurrent user test server because IPs had gotten "lost" in accounting,
> eg the NAS hadn't sent an accounting-stop so the IP was never added back
> to the pool. Preventing this from happening automatically would be very
> useful (having the script produce a usable output to a logfile or sql
> would be even handier, so we can see just where the IPs are "leaking").

  The server could really use a little better handling of stale
sessions.  For example, if Session-Timeout is set to an hour, then
you're pretty sure that after an hour or so, the user isn't online any
more.  (This doesn't work for some NASes, of course...)

  The server tries to do this right now by looking at NAS reboots and
logins from the same NAS port.  But some NASes don't send reboot
messages, and some don't send NAS port, or always send the same
information for NAS port.

  It's difficult to do this correctly in a way that's robust.