FreeRADIUS FreeBSD port

Mike Jakubik mikej at rogers.com
Tue Jan 23 15:42:06 CET 2007

On Mon, January 22, 2007 11:28 pm, David Wood wrote:

> This is an rcorder thing - you may find man 8 rcorder and the output of:
> rcorder /etc/rc.d/* /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*
> interesting.
>
> I probably need to add extra entries to the REQUIRE line of
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/radiusd when some of the optional modules are
> enabled.

Indeed. However the ports should keep this in mind, and set the correct
rcorder variables, to ensure they start up correctly. Most ports that
depend on a DB that I've come by do take this in to account, but
unfortunately not all.

> In your case, assuming that the MySQL server runs on the same box,
> adding mysql to the REQUIRE line to that it reads
> # REQUIRE: NETWORKING SERVERS mysql
>
> should do the job. The rcorder command will help you check whether that
> is going to work.

Unfortunately its not that simple, that addition seems to make rcorder
unhappy.

---
rcorder: Circular dependency on provision `DAEMON' in file `/etc/rc.d/rwho'.
rcorder: Circular dependency on file `/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radiusd'.
---

> Maybe such an addition needs doing automagically in the port - as well
> as the equivalent for Postgres. It wouldn't help any if the SQL server
> wasn't running on the same box, but I'm not sure that it would do any
> harm either.

Yes, thats how most ports do it, the rc script is dynamically generated
depending on config options. I don't believe the lack of a local server
would not do any harm either.

> I may need to think further on this one, though it's not as if a manual
> edit to the rc.d script is that difficult.

For a port maintainer that has a good grasp of the port and rcng system,
maybe not, but for a user that installs and (rightly) expects the software
to start, its not as trivial.