setup question : mschap + perl authentication

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Jul 10 10:56:29 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 22:44 +0100, Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
> Alan DeKok wrote:
> > Johan wrote:
> >
> >> I'm wondering if it's possible to authenticate a user who is using
> >> mschap authentication with perl.
> >>

> >   Sure.  Just re-write all of the MS-CHAP authentication protocol in
> > rlm_mschap in Perl.
> >
> >   But why the heck would you want to do that?
> >

> You know i've been thinking of doing that in PHP (PHP Based supplicant
> for weblogin via RADIUS), i'm sure it's possible... and it would be of
> some benefit, just the RFC makes my head hurt... one of the few times
> I've  regreted not studying computer science. *sigh* something to do
> with hashing the nt hash using different sha functions.

I suggested this to a BlueSocket rep after my 802.1x talk at NetworkShop
2006 (I think...) to get over the problems of PAP on eduroam - but my
suggestion went further and was to do it in JavaScript on the browser,
have the server simply act as a relay.

I imagine that'd be even trickier. I got about an hour into coding it
and lost the will to live...