Interim-Updates

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Fri Jul 13 09:13:53 CEST 2007

On Fri 13 Jul 2007, Stefan Winter wrote:
> > Exactly. Although of course your DB columns need to be able to hold the
> > large numbers as well so they should be of type BIGINT like:
> >
> >   AcctInputOctets bigint(20) default NULL,
> >   AcctOutputOctets bigint(20) default NULL,
> >
> > I updated the MySQL schema a couple of days ago to reflect this, but
> > have not updated the default queries yet as I haven't had time to test
> > them. (MySQL doesn't always accept "standard" SQL and I didnt want to
> > break anything)
> >
> > If someone has time to test this before I do, please shoot me a mail
> > with tested working queries for MySQL...
>
> Hm, Alan commited my fix for this very problem to the HEAD CVS already. I
> assume you backported it to 1.1.x?

Yes. I thought it had been committed to 1.1.x but couldn't see it and didn't
have time to check. You are correct, it is in CVS head, but I will backport
it to 1.1.x today.

> Or did you re-do it? In any case, my
> fixes to the queries and schema are tested, running in our production
> environment for quite a while.

Great.

> BTW, that link from the OP on the netexperise.eu web site
> (http://www.netexpertise.eu/en/FreeRadius/DailyAcct.html) should really be
> amended with the proper instructions to put gigawords into older versions
> of FreeRADIUS (adding these extra columns to hold the gigawords and even
> more going to the lengths of introducing stored procedures is _really_
> hacky). A set of instructions is in the FreeRADIUS Wiki already:

Yes. You are correct, it IS a hack, and the _wrong_ way to solve the problem.
The information about how to configure ciscos to send gigawords is usefully,
but the other stuff about stored procedures needs fixing.

Stephan, we appreciate you efforts, and we always need more people writing
documentation, but if you could update that page we would appreciate it.
(There are way to many recommendations about FreeRADIUS scattered all over
google which list bad ways to configure things.. Hopefully the wiki is
helping to solve it but it will take time.)

> http://wiki.freeradius.org/FAQ#How_do_I_enable_logging_of_64_bit_counters.
>2C_a.k.a._Acct-.7BInput.7COutput.7D-Gigawords.3F

:-)

--

Peter Nixon
http://peternixon.net/