how to drop idle users

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Wed Jul 18 12:57:59 CEST 2007

liran tal wrote:
> This is usually done by the NAS IIRC.
> Simply set an Idle-Timeout attribute in radreply for the user and the NAS
> takes care of that.

Yep, otherwise you would need to write something outside FreeRADIUS
using something like radclient, to send disconnect packets to your NAS...
You also need your NAS to have the CoA and PoD extensions implemented,
which not that many do at the moment (cisco being the main people who do).

If you have RADIUS accounting enabled your NAS should send an accounting
stop packet on idle timeout with AcctTerminateCause set to Idle-Timeout.