POD and HP Products.

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jun 11 12:00:05 CEST 2007

Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Trying to find out whether any HP products support PoD (Packet of
> Disconnect). I've got a HP2626 ProCurve  switch and one of the new HP
> 530 WAPs (released last august).

If you don't have a reason to believe they *do* i.e. docs saying so,
they almost certainly don't.

> Seems strange that their enterprise products don't support  something as
> basic as this, specially when the RFC was published in 2003.

It's annoying but it's not strange. A lot of vendors don't even bother
with full and complete radius auth/acct support - why go for PoD?

For wired switches, you might try setting the ifMauAutoNegRestart
(described in RFC 2668) to "1" which on quite a few switches will drop
the physical link and as a byproduct cause authentication to restart
(which, if you've now banned this person, is a good thing). This has the
dual advantage that it causes windows boxes to re-lease their IPs by
DHCP, which is valuable if you've moved them into a walled garden network.