Server dies

Alan Dekok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Jun 12 09:31:32 CEST 2007

Hugh Messenger wrote:
> Unfortunately, when I run it as a service, it dies after a few hours.  No
> clues, no errors, no nothing . it just silently dies off.  Load is not a
> factor - we're migrating our wireless networks to PPPOE, and right now just
> have a handful of test users.  So freeradius isn't handling more than a
> handful of requests per hour.

  Run it under valgrind, and re-direct all of the valgrind output to a file.

> Are there any logs or stats I could post to help give a clue?  I'm basically
> looking at a blank wall, I have no idea how to even start trying to track
> this one down.

  If valgrind doesn't help, start with a minimal configuration (i.e. the
default one), and work from there.  The code was scanned for certain
classes of defects by Coverity, but perhaps not all modules were
covered.  If your configuration can be temporarily run from the "users"
file, then I would suggest doing that.

  Then, if it doesn't die, add one more module at a time to the config,
until it does die.  That helps to narrow down the problem, at least.